why a cooperative?
The history of viticulture in our territory has very ancient origins. There are traces of the cultivation of vines that date back to the Etruscan, Greek and Roman periods. Since ancient times, all those who stopped in Pitigliano had the opportunity to taste and appreciate wines, especially whites, stored in wine vessels in the deep and cold tuff caves. Experts of all times recognized the quality of the grapes from this area and the excellence of the wines produced.
In the first half of the twentieth century, as a consequence of the war and the political dictatorship, viticulture, in the area, suffered a decline. However, In the following decades, the initiatives of many land owners multiplied, encouraged by a significant land reform. They aimed at developing a more rational viticulture. They understood that as single, small plots owners, they would have not been able to develope a significant project. They knew that to produce quality they needed to combine their passion with knowledge and modern technology.
So a decisive contribution to solving these problems was the creation in 1954 of “Cantina Sociale di Pitigliano”, with the goal of gathering all small producers to vinificicate their grape production together in order to produce quality wine to face growing quality markets.
Later, scientific, specialized publications, analyzed wines obtained in this territory and made important contributions to their enhancement; “Typical and fine Italian wines” by R. Capone, published in 1963, illustrates the characteristics of Pitigliano wines.
These were some of the assumptions that led to the awareness that the territory of South-Eastern Maremma was elegible to obtain the denomination of controlled origin for the wines here produced. Such recognition was granted (among the first in Italy) in March 1966, for the «Bianco di Pitigliano Doc», followed by the Sovana Doc and, more recently, by the Maremma Doc.